I love banana bread, I find it’s a great different option for breakfast and something to do with old bananas. We seem to often have old bananas in the house, which is I guess explained by the fact that I like my bananas almost green so as soon as there is a hint of brown on them, they’re too sweet for me.
So, I was going to make banana bread (again! I know…) but Matt, who is quite the muffin fan, suggested muffins. With bran. I thought it was a great idea and that a little bit of sweetened coconut (leftover from easter baking) would be nice too.
So these came to life. They are really good, not too sweet as there is no sugar other than the coconut, and really good and hearty with the bran and the whole wheat. Mmmm muffins
Banana Bran Coconut Muffins
- 1 1/4 cup of milk
- 3/4 cup of bran
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 2 bananas, smashed
- 1/2 cup of sweetened shredded coconut
How to Prep:
- In a bowl, pour the milk and add the bran.
- Let the bran soak for 15 minutes in the milk until it is all mushy.
- Add the egg and the bananas, mix well.
- Add all the dry ingredients and the coconut and mix well again.
- Pour the batter evenly into muffin tins. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes until they golden on top.